A convenient way to feed a baby during the night is to prepare a bottle of milk beforehand, keep it chilled in the fridge, and warm it up when feeding time comes. However, what some parents are not aware of is the sensitivity of breastmilk and formula milk towards heat. Exposing milk to an extremely high temperature can change its composition, causing it to lose important proteins, vitamins, and minerals, as well as certain properties that are important for the baby’s immune function.
Benefits of Using a Baby Bottle Warmer
Bottle warmers are designed to warm breastmilk and formula safely while preserving their components. While the traditional warm-water-in-pot method can take up to 15 minutes of your time, bottle warmers operate fast, with most able to warm up bottles in under 10 minutes. They also ensure that milk is evenly and sufficiently heated, so parents can rest assured that the milk won’t scald their babies’ mouths. Bottle warmers make nighttime feeding as quick, easy and hassle-free as possible for parents.
There are lots of good bottle warmers parents can choose from in the market. One of those is the Born Free Tru-Temp Bottle Warmer and Cooler.
Here are the special features that make Born Free’s bottle warmer one of a kind:
1.Simple touch controls – The Born Free Tru-Temp bottle warmer has a simple knob that does it all – be it choosing the dial setting, powering the appliance, or selecting the milk’s starting temperature.
2.Visual status indicator – Around the knob is a Warming Light Ring, which lights up in a counter-clockwise fashion as the warming progresses. When the bottle is ready, the status light glows green.
3.Antimicrobial water reservoir – The bottle warmer contains a water reservoir, which is to be filled every day or so. There is no need to input an exact amount of water because the bottle warmer automatically calculates the amount of water it needs for heating based on the settings.
4.Steam heating system – This baby bottle warmer makes use of steam to safely but quickly heat milk while keeping its components intact.
5.Insulating compartment – In addition to the warmer, the appliance also contains an insulated bottle cooler with two freezer packs that can keep two bottles chilled for up to eight hours.
The Born Free Tru-Temp Bottle Warmer and Cooler is one of the most popular choices for parents when it comes to bottle warmers, and with those features, it’s easy to understand why. Aside from that, here are what customers like the most about the Tru-Temp bottle warmer:
- Eliminates guesswork - Dial settings are specified on the user manual depending on the amount of milk and the type of bottle, so there’s no need to play around with the settings just to get the perfect temperature. To add to that, the status light counts down the warming cycle so you’ll see the exact progress until the bottle is ready.
- Fast operation - Born Free Tru-Temp bottle warmer is one of the fastest bottle warmers available in the market. A 5-oz bottle, for instance, can be warmed in just 3 minutes, while a 9-oz bottle can be warmed in 4-6 minutes.
- Two-in-one - Its dual-functionality makes it highly appealing to customers who want to save time. You can simply place the milk bottles in the cooler and keep the appliance inside the room, so there will be no need to rush to the fridge in the middle of the night.
All those positive points sure sound good, but like any other product, Born Free’s bottle warmer does have its negative aspects, such as the following:
- Does not thaw frozen milk - This bottle warmer can’t thaw anything that’s frozen solid. As such, you’ll have to defrost frozen milk prior to placing it in the bottle warmer.
- Bottles need to be refrigerated prior to cooling - If you’re opting to use the cooler to chill the bottles overnight, you may need to refrigerate the bottles before keeping them in the cooler. Else, the bottles may not be as cool as desired.
How to Operate and Clean?
To warm milk, first plug in the bottle warmer. Fill the reservoir with water then place it back into the warmer. Place the uncapped baby bottle into the warming chamber. Push the power button, then select the starting temperature of your milk bottle (home button for room temperature, snowflake button for chilled). Turn the knob to the desired dial setting then push the power button again to start warming. Wait until the indicator light glows green before taking the bottle out.
To use the cooler, fill the freezer packs with water and keep them in the fridge until frozen. Place the frozen packs in the cooler along with the bottles.
To clean the appliance, simply wipe the surface and chambers using a damp cloth with mild soap. Wipe with clean, warm water and let it dry.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Can it be used to warm baby food?
Yes, it can also warm baby food as long as the container fits in the warmer.
2. Is it compatible with bottles?
This bottle warmer is compatible with the following brands of bottles: Born Free, Avent Classic, Avent Natural, Dr. Brown’s Wide Mouth, Tommee Tippee, Chicco, Nuk, Medela, Evenflo Joovy, and Wide Neck. It can accommodate bottle sizes from 2-oz to 9-oz.
3. Does it show the actual numeric temperature setting?
No. Instead of actual temperature values, the bottle warmer makes use of dial settings ranging from 1-12.
With the variety of baby bottle warmers online, it can be quite difficult and confusing to choose one perfect bottle warmer for your family’s needs. Every model has different strengths to boast about, as well as some weaknesses. Similarly, the Born Free Tru-Temp Bottle Warmer and Cooler have both good and bad aspects, but what’s important is to consider what you and the baby truly needs.
If you prioritize efficiency and dual-functionality, this may be a good bottle warmer for you. However, if you’d like the one that is portable, and has more settings (e.g. a defrost mode), it may be better to consider other models.